I was in the process of evaluating CFbuilder to make it more effective among the team. what I was looking for was tips and tricks , Faster coding with shortcuts and snippets, make complete use of RDS and make use of Service Browser.
Then I got stuck with the same old problem all most all CF developers face “Finding the right function”. It is easy in technologies like .net with a ful fledged IDE to find methods or variables through out the project. But somewhere we had to wait centuries for Adobe to come up with CFB. Now we can look for the methods and variables in the page or instantiated component by doing a CTRL + SPACE. But that was’nt enough for me !. most of the time , I even dont know where I could find the right method. I have to scan through the service browser to find the function.
Continue reading “Instant Method Finder : My first Coldfusion Builder extension!” »
CF Builder Snippets is one among those cool features which comes handy when doing fast development on ColdFusion. But most of time I found it hard to create all those snippets which I could use later in my development, because they are so scattered around or so hard to find apart from one “Cflib.org”. Thanks to Raymen for creating such a cool repository for those community shared functions and custom tags.
Continue reading “Create coldfusion builder snippets from cflib repository” »
There are several touchscreen technologies available in the market these days. Out of them 2 are very popular with mobile phones and PDA’s . “Resistive” and “Capacitive” touch screen.
Continue reading “Tip:Difference between resistive and capacitive touch screen.” »
What is QR Code ? Read More
This one gave me a headache for 15 min, making all the possible tricks to make my query return the unsorted columns.
Generally Coldfusion always sort the columns in the query that has been returned, irrespective of the order you have specified in the SQL statement. Most of the time its a blessing, but not always.
There is no documented way to get the unsorted columns otherthan using some thirdparty customtags and function. But there is a tweak for this case.
Use getMetaData() function to get the column list which is as per the sql statement which you have written.
<!--- use GetMetadata to get the names and data types of the fields in the cfdocexamples Employees table ---> <cfquery name="getemployees" datasource="cfdocexamples"> SELECT * FROM Employees </cfquery> <cfset employeemeta=getMetaData(getemployees)> <h4>The Employees table has the following columns</h4> <cfloop index="i" from="1" to="#arrayLen(employeemeta)#"> <cfoutput> #employeemeta[i].name# </cfoutput> </cfloop>
Use queryObj.getColumnNames() function to get the unsorted list of column from the query. this function is not documented in CF docs. Thanks to Richard
<cfset queryColumnlist = ArrayToList( qryObj.getColumnNames() )>
Small tip for the day, In Coldfusion MX7 the CFdump was pritty much dump that it just do the variable dump and nothing more.
CF8 dump is much more capable like writing the dump out to file like i did in my last blog , plus you even can control the fields that you need to show or hide during the dump. This could pretty much save time when dumping big queries which contains long columns
Continue reading “Tip : Show hide columns in cfdump” »
One simple tip for the day, How to use cfdump inside the cfscript block !!!
cfscript block does not support cfdump tag or indeed any tag inside it. So the trick is to create function which dumps the value using cfdump and call the function inside cfscript by passing the variable as parameter.
Continue reading “Tip : Using cfdump inside CFscript” »
Check out the new Coldfusion 9 feature comparison with its predecessors which includes CF8 and MX7. PDF download at the bottom of content.
Continue reading “Coldfusion 9 : Feature improvement history” »
Today somebody asked me the question on the definition of Digitization specific to computer projects.
So I went back to my seat and did my googling and found some simple paragraphs defining Project Digitization.
Continue reading “Ask Neo: What is Digitization?” »
Take it with you!
- Instant Method Finder : My first Coldfusion Builder extension!
- Create coldfusion builder snippets from cflib repository
- Tip:Difference between resistive and capacitive touch screen.
- Why QR code is cool and easy with smartphones !!!!!
- Tip : Getting unsorted query columns in coldfusion
- Coldfusion Builder
- Project Management
- Tips and Tricks
- firstDayOfWeek March 8, 2014Analogous to firstDayOfMonth() function. […]
- convertQueryStringToStruct December 27, 2013Converts a URL query string to a struct […]
- getExcelPercentile December 27, 2013Returns the requested percentile() […]
- makeStopwatch December 22, 2013Returns functions for recording a sequence of timed events […]
- dayOfWeekAsInteger December 9, 2013Converts a day string to a number. […]
- createLocalisedDayOfWeekAsInteger December 8, 2013Returns a localised version of dayOfWeekAsInteger() (http://www.cflib.org/udf/dayOfWeekAsInteger) […]
- createEventObject December 5, 2013Creates functions for event-handling in CFML […]
- hasDoNotTrackHeader December 4, 2013Support for the "Do Not Track" HTTP header […]
- isDefinedValue October 30, 2013Checks that a variable is defined and that the variable is not an empty value. Optionally lets you check that the variable is a specific value. […]