I was in the process of evaluating CFbuilder to make it more effective among the team. what I was looking for was tips and tricks , Faster coding with shortcuts and snippets, make complete use of RDS and make use of Service Browser.
Then I got stuck with the same old problem all most all CF developers face “Finding the right function”. It is easy in technologies like .net with a ful fledged IDE to find methods or variables through out the project. But somewhere we had to wait centuries for Adobe to come up with CFB. Now we can look for the methods and variables in the page or instantiated component by doing a CTRL + SPACE. But that was’nt enough for me !. most of the time , I even dont know where I could find the right method. I have to scan through the service browser to find the function.
Continue reading “Instant Method Finder : My first Coldfusion Builder extension!” »
CF Builder Snippets is one among those cool features which comes handy when doing fast development on ColdFusion. But most of time I found it hard to create all those snippets which I could use later in my development, because they are so scattered around or so hard to find apart from one “Cflib.org”. Thanks to Raymen for creating such a cool repository for those community shared functions and custom tags.
Continue reading “Create coldfusion builder snippets from cflib repository” »
This one gave me a headache for 15 min, making all the possible tricks to make my query return the unsorted columns.
Generally Coldfusion always sort the columns in the query that has been returned, irrespective of the order you have specified in the SQL statement. Most of the time its a blessing, but not always.
There is no documented way to get the unsorted columns otherthan using some thirdparty customtags and function. But there is a tweak for this case.
Use getMetaData() function to get the column list which is as per the sql statement which you have written.
<!--- use GetMetadata to get the names and data types of the fields in the cfdocexamples Employees table ---> <cfquery name="getemployees" datasource="cfdocexamples"> SELECT * FROM Employees </cfquery> <cfset employeemeta=getMetaData(getemployees)> <h4>The Employees table has the following columns</h4> <cfloop index="i" from="1" to="#arrayLen(employeemeta)#"> <cfoutput> #employeemeta[i].name# </cfoutput> </cfloop>
Use queryObj.getColumnNames() function to get the unsorted list of column from the query. this function is not documented in CF docs. Thanks to Richard
<cfset queryColumnlist = ArrayToList( qryObj.getColumnNames() )>
One simple tip for the day, How to use cfdump inside the cfscript block !!!
cfscript block does not support cfdump tag or indeed any tag inside it. So the trick is to create function which dumps the value using cfdump and call the function inside cfscript by passing the variable as parameter.
Continue reading “Tip : Using cfdump inside CFscript” »
Check out the new Coldfusion 9 feature comparison with its predecessors which includes CF8 and MX7. PDF download at the bottom of content.
Continue reading “Coldfusion 9 : Feature improvement history” »
coldfusion cfdump is the most favorite tag for almost all CF developers. but there are cases where using a cfdump will not make life much easier.
when creating a web service, dumping the sessions and application variable will be a problem. this is the same case when creating components which does not have an interface. Any method you have to debug with a cfdump should have to make a code walk-through.
Continue reading “Tip : Saving cfdump to file in coldfusion 8” »
Take it with you!
- Instant Method Finder : My first Coldfusion Builder extension!
- Create coldfusion builder snippets from cflib repository
- Tip:Difference between resistive and capacitive touch screen.
- Why QR code is cool and easy with smartphones !!!!!
- Tip : Getting unsorted query columns in coldfusion
- Coldfusion Builder
- Project Management
- Tips and Tricks
- composeDateTime May 3, 2013Creates a date time from optional date parts […]
- convertQueryStringToStruct April 6, 2013Converts a URL query string to a struct […]
- arrayDiff April 5, 2013Compares two arrays and returns the difference between the two. […]
- ArrayOfStructsSort April 4, 2013Sorts an array of structures based on a key in the structures. […]
- directoryCopy March 21, 2013Copies a directory. […]
- invokeRemoteMethodByJSON March 10, 2013Invoke a remote method using cfhttp and JSON proxy […]
- SmallCaps March 10, 2013Formats a string to simulate the small-caps style without using the css font-variant attribute. […]
- ArrayCartesianProduct March 10, 2013Returns a cartesian product (a join) of arbitrary number of arrays. […]
- listReFilterNoCase March 10, 2013Filters a target list, given a list of regex filters. […]